Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Thailand - 44 Focus Gym, Bangkok




Location: 44 Focus Gym, 175 Thanon Chan, Khwaeng Wat Phraya Krai, Khet Bang Kho Laem, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10120
Google Maps: Click here
Tel 094 767 4394
Website: Facebook
Opening Hours: Mon - Sat: 9am to 11pm. Sun: Closed
Price: 79 bhat (approx £1.75)

Review: Having flown back from Chiang Rai to Bangkok, we dropped my mother off at the airport for a tearful farewell. Whilst it was sad to see her go, I am inwardly excited to go back to eating meat without the guilt trip. As I had ended up buying a 2.5kg tub of protein at Go Gym in Chiang Mai, I had to decant it all down into several Tupperware boxes to get in my backpack to board the flight and then cram all of these into my bag. It meant throwing away a few things, but this was a small sacrifice.





We are now spending 2 days in Bangkok before heading into Laos. It will be interesting to see what the gyms are like there and to see if the fitness culture that has been so prevalent in Cambodia and Thailand has caught on. Back in Bangkok I managed to find a GNC and decided to try L-Arginine & L-Ornithine, which is its precursor, to help boost growth hormone production. I have only been taking for a little while, but I already feel like it is helping to boost muscle growth and volume. I also bought some resistance bands just incase I can't find a gym in Laos and you can look forward to another video coming soon about how to use your backpack to get a good home workout. Please try and pretend you care. This is all I have. Stop laughing.

Anyway, I decided to try another gym in Bangkok and the closest one to my hotel was 44 Focus Gym, which was about a half an hour walk. When I saw the gym logo, I knew I had to train here if only because the logo was too cool not to and would look lit on the Gym's of the World Instagram page. (Which you can check out here). As I set out the door, it started raining. To make matters worse, this gym is not where Google maps says it is. I have geotagged the correct location to this post to save you the wandering around that I had to do. By the time I walked into the gym I was looking a little like a wet rat with man-bun. Not a strong look if I am honest.

Today was chest day and I managed to get up to the 40kg dumbbells on incline press and felt like I could have gone higher with someone spotting me. The only person in the gym at the time strong enough to help me was a Chinese bodybuilder who was so much bigger than me I thought me might try and eat me if I asked him to spot me a second set.

44 Focus has all the equipment you might need, but it is crammed into a gym that is just too small for it all. Luckily the gym didn't get too busy whilst I was in there so there was space to move.

The gym has:
  • Dumbbells up to 50kg
  • Olympic bars 
  • Squat rack 
  • Smith machine 
  • Incline barbell bench
  • Decline barbell bench
  • Flat barbell bench
  • Cables
  • Lat pulldown
  • Lat pulldown machine 
  • Seated low row 
  • Weighted row machines
  • Leg press
  • Leg extension 
  • Leg curl 
  • Thigh abductor machine 
  • Preacher curl bench 
  • Easy bars
  • Swiss balls 
  • Kettle bells
  • Treadmills 
  • Cross trainers 
  • Static bikes 
The gym also has a rack of communal lifting belts and gloves on the wall for people to use, which is a nice touch. The gym has fans and wifi throughout, as well as lockers bathrooms and a shower. 

The reception desk also doubles as a little shop selling water, juices, protein shakes, a range of supplements and other basics like gym gloves. 

Entrance on a day pass was 79 bhat, (approx £1.75) or monthly membership is available for 900 bhat. The gym has no contract or joining fees, so offers a flexible option if you don't want to commit to a fixed term contract.

Impressively, this gym boasts national and international bodybuilding champions amongst their trainers, and having seen these guys in the gym, they are 100% legit. Personal training sessions are available in blocks of 12 at 800 bhat each (approx £20), but shorted blocks can be negotiated too.

Who is this gym for? Whilst I was here, I saw all ages and ability levels training in this gym. Id did seem to be mainly Thais training when i was in there, but the guys willing to help me when I needed and I was made to feel welcome. The gym is on the main street and is open fronted, and felt like a professional safe environment. I would recommend this gym to anyone looking to train in this part of Bangkok.

Tips: This gym is not where Google maps says it is. See the location for this post for correct location.

Photos:
















No comments:

Post a Comment