Saturday, September 17, 2016

Thailand - Iron Gecko, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui




Location: Iron Gecko, 205/, Pracharakpattana Rd, KOH SAMUI, Surat Thani 84310, Thailand

Google maps: Click here

Web: Facebook

Tel: +66 96 635 7378

Opening hours: 7.30am to 8.30pm 

Price180 bhat (about £3) 


Review:  I am not usually one to get pulled into gym marketing or tribal loyalty, but the Iron Gecko got me. All in. I even bought one of their vest with the gym logo on the chest and a massive design on the back. In black, white and green. It is hideous. And I love it. 

Whilst the gym its-self is decent, I just loved the name. I almost bought shirts for my pack of gym-rats back home. But then I came to my senses and realised they probably wouldn't want a shirt advertising a gym they have never trained in, in a place they have never been to. Fuck them then. Ungrateful bastards. 


Anyway, I digress. When I looked up gyms in Lamai beach, I found several options, but the one that I chose was the Iron Gecko. The gym itself is only 10 months old, so the equipment is all new and in good condition. 


The gym was 180 bhat (about £3) for day pass. Weekly or monthly passes are also available and I took a photo of the prices sheet (See below).


The gym sells water and protein shakes, using Gold Standard Whey. Another photo below of the price list. (See below) The Iron Gecko also sells training vests for 350 bhat (about £7). I had to buy one. It's awesome. Shut up. 

One of the things that stuck out is that this gym has a nice policy of lending out gym gloves and lifting belts to customers that need them. These are free to use and all looked in good condition and pretty new. Personally, I am not sure if I would use another man's gym gloves, but its a thoughtful service by the gym owner. 


Whilst the gym is smallish it is open sided for ventilation and  had everything I needed for a proper heavy weight workout. This gym has:

  • An air conditioned cardio room with the usual cardio bits
  • Squat rack 
  • Olympic bars
  • Dumb bells up to 50kg 
  • Smith machine 
  • Flat Barbell bench 
  • Incline Barbell bench 
  • Preacher curl bench 
  • Fixed weight easy bars
  • Fixed weight straight bars 
  • Cables 
  • Decline bench
  • Lat pull-down 
  • Leg press 
  • Leg extensions 
  • Leg curl 

In my quest to make this blog extra informative, I tried to speak to the guy behind reception about the gym. He was very friendly and provided me with a little history about the place. I then made the mistake of trying to get him to take a selfie with me for the blog. He seemed quite confused, and a little scared creeped out by my request, explaining that it wasn't his gym and that he just worked there. Fair enough. I left with the deep feeling that he had thought I was trying to chat him up. Oh well.

Maybe I should get rid of this man bun after all? 


Who is this gym for? This section seems increasingly redundant as the modern gyms seem to outweigh the crazy ones, so this is another broad recommendation for everyone. Train here. Buy a shirt. Send me a photo! First one gets a prize. No, not really. Shut up.

Tip: The gym is somewhat hidden down a side street but it is near the main tourist area. They have good signs along the roach, but look for the turning next to the Family Mart. Once you get there, the gym is above a cafe which you have to walk through to get to gym.















No comments:

Post a Comment